Using SIP trunks, you can send inbound calls from other communication systems (such as your Cisco PBX or Genesys Contact Centre, etc.), into Spoke Phone, or send calls from Spoke Phone out to other communication systems.
This article will show you how to sync your external phone system and contact centre directories into Spoke Phone; making it easy for Spoke Phone users to connect with external users, devices, and groups on other communication systems.
It contains the following sections:
- Process overview
- Manually adding external users, devices, and hunt groups
- Assigning the new endpoint to a Spoke Phone user
- Automatically adding external users, devices, and hunt groups
- Step #1. Create a SIP trunk.
- Step #2. Add external users, devices, and hunt groups to the SIP trunk (this step).
Manually adding external users, devices, and hunt groups to the Spoke Phone directory via the online Spoke Phone account portal
- Login to your Spoke Phone account portal.
- Go to phones and devices > add device.
- Display name: This should be a logical name such as a user (e.g. Jason Kerr), a common area phone device (e.g. Kitchen Phone), or a hunt group/call queue (e.g. Sales).
- SIP device registrar/trunk: Select the SIP trunk of your external phone system, contact center, or other communications services (note: this would never be Spoke Phone).
- Type in register/trunk: Select what type of endpoint this is: user, phone or device, or call queue.
- Extension number: This is the extension number of this device on the external system.
- ID in register/trunk (OPTIONAL): You can optionally enter the external endpoints UUID (a GUID), that uniquely identifies this endpoint in your external system. Adding this information here passes the UUID back to you in the developer API.
- Click save changes to save the new device.
Assigning the new endpoint to a Spoke Phone user
You can assign the new external endpoint to a Spoke Phone user so that calls to that external system's user, device, or call queue, will ring the Spoke Phone user on their Spoke Phone app.
- Find the new endpoint in the phones and devices table.
- Click the edit pencil at the far right.
- Select the Spoke Phone user from the dropdown: Assign this device to a user?
- Save changes.
Automatically adding external users, devices, and hunt groups to the Spoke Phone directory via the Spoke Phone API
For large deployments, it's best to use our developer API to automatically add users, devices, and call queues from your phone system or contact centre into Spoke Phone.
The developer API allows you to create a one-off or a regularly scheduled integration that syncs your phone system or contact centre directory into Spoke Phone.
When you use the Developer API to sync your phone system or contact centre directory into Spoke Phone, the API also automatically assigns users and devices on your external system to any Spoke Phone users.
For more information, visit our developer API documentation.