This article provides specific instructions on how to set up a QoS (Quality of Service) on the Ubiquiti UniFi router and correctly configure it for high quality, Spoke Phone VoIP calling.
It includes the following sections:
We strongly recommend you engage your IT support professional to correctly configure any network or WiFi changes.
Activating the Smart Queue
UniFi Security Gateway offers a Smart Queue option based on Fair Queuing and Codel which prioritizes traffic and reduces delays when the router/bandwidth becomes overloaded. Activating this option will give priority to all traffic coming in and out of Spoke Phone over other applications on the network.
Please note that activating the Smart Queue may reduce the
maximum throughput (85Mbps for the USG, 250 for the USG-PRO).
It is strongly recommended to monitor the available speed
with and without Smart QoS enabled.
- Go to your UniFi controller and select Settings.
- Select Networks in the blue tab.
- In your network list, select the WAN network that you will be using for your VoIP service.
- Scroll down to the Common Settings section and click on Enable Smart Queues.
- Perform the speed test build into the UniFi interface by selecting pre-populate (or by using any other speed test).
- Click on Enable Smart Queues and the fields "Up Rate" and "Down Rate" will appear.
- Click on Pre-populate to automatically set 80% of the Up and Down bandwidth.
- Click Save *Please note that this may restart your USG so we recommend that you perform this outside of business hours.
The QoS is now configured on the Security Gateway.
To ensure traffic won't be blocked at the port level, its necessary to open a specific set of ports:
- Access your UniFi dashboard and navigate to Settings > Routing & Firewall > Firewall > LAN IN
- Click on "+ Create a new rule" and set the settings according to the table below.
|Rule applied||Before predefined rules|
|Protocol||TCP and UDP|
|Advanced Section||(Do not change - leave default values)|
Setting the SOURCE
- Source type: Address/port Group
Create an Address group
- Create a new group named SPOKE_IP with the type being Address and add the list of corresponding IPs to your country based on the below table:
Create a Port group
Create a new group named SPOKE_PORT and select Port in the 'Type' option.
Add the following ports:
- TCP: 443, 3478, 5349
- UDP & TCP : 3478 + from 10000 to 20000
Selecting the destination
- Destination type: Address/port group
- Address group: SPOKE_IP
- Port group: SPOKE_PORT
Finally, make sure to save these settings.
Now your router is set to prioritize your Spoke Phone communications. You can also perform a speed test on your network in order to monitor the resulting traffic.
UniFi Access Points and Switches
By default, The UniFi access points and switches will automatically map DSCP value to Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) priority.
Voice is then automatically given the highest priority on these devices on no further changes are needed.