This article will show you how to request a network-level diversion for your existing phone number(s). A network-level diversion allows you to start using Spoke Phone for all your calls while avoiding the call quality issues commonly associated with forwarding a number(s).
It contains the following sections:
- Get your Spoke Phone company number
Note: In most cases, you will be able to request the diversion by emailing your
carrier. However, if your current carrier does not offer email support you will
need to call them instead.
Get your Spoke Phone Company Number
During your initial trial set up, you were assigned a landline phone number by Spoke Phone. This is the number we're going to have your existing phone numbers diverted to.
- Go to your Spoke Phone account portal online
- Go to Phone Numbers > Manage Numbers
- Look for the landline number you were given when first setting up your account
- Typically, this will show in the table as 'assigned to' <All Locations>
- Note down this number, as it is the number you will use in the next step
Instructions for your current carrier
Copy the email text below and send it as an email to your current carrier or call your current carrier using the text below to guide your conversation.
Email to be sent to your carrier/service provider
We need to temporarily divert all incoming calls to our current business
phone number(s) that you provide to us, over to a new number. Our IT team has
instructed us to tell you that this needs to be a network-level diversion
to minimize latency and ensure that the caller's phone number (caller ID)
is passed through correctly.
- Inbound calls to our current number ring on our new number instantly,
or near instantly.
- The caller's phone number is correctly passed over to the new number in
an E.164 format.
- The call audio is clear and continues after the diversion is made from
The numbers that we want to be diverted are:
* XXX-XXX-XXXX, XXX-XXXX-XXXX, XXX-XXXX-XXXXX
The new number you need to divert all calls to is:
(* Your existing numbers that you want to be diverted to Spoke Phone)
(**The Spoke Phone company number identified in Step 1)
An alternative to diverting
While it is uncommon, there are times when your current carrier will refuse to divert your calls, delay the process, or forward your calls incorrectly (technically). This leads to reduced call quality. To avoid this from occurring there are alternative options for you. Click here to read about an alternative to diverting and porting existing numbers.